httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: the C++ disaster (was Re: Source code - optimised assembler)
Date Thu, 12 Mar 1998 20:07:55 GMT
On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Huh? HTML parsing is platform independent. So is protocol. Cacheing is
> very nearly so. Security is orthogonal. We obviously have completely
> different ideas of what "cross-platform" means. Even HTML layout is
> platform independent (nearly) - though how you achieve the layout is
> obviously highly platform dependent.

If _a_ piece of code is cross platform, that means that it is
essentially the same on all platforms.

If a piece of code is not cross-platform, then it needs different code
for each platform.

Portability in code that is different for each platform would logically
be less of an issue than for other code because it only has to be
portable to a far smaller number of platforms.