httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: InternetWorld article
Date Wed, 11 Mar 1998 18:19:38 GMT
On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Chris Tacy wrote:

> http://www.internetworld.com/print/current/iwlabs/19980309-3types.html
>
> "...plus the overwhelmingly popular freeware package Apache HTTP Server
> 1.25 and 1.3..."

If they can't even get the version number right, they obviously don't give
a damn about actually looking at software.

Lovely claim to "sidestep the OS issue" by picking an OS that there isn't
any released version of Apache for and by demanding OS-specific features.

I have no idea what sort of drugs they are smoking when they talk about
higher hardware costs for Unix systems; yes, to get a better Unix system
with specialized hardware with better performance at the high end and more
fault tolerance it will cost more.  But FreeBSD and Linux, etc. need less
hardware than NT to do the same job.  They even mention FreeBSD and Linux
in their features chart!

Hey everyone, better stop doing ad banners.  It can't be done on Apache.

The biggest problem with their "types of sites" reviews is that they are
approaching it from the view of a clueless journalist trying to setup a
complex site.  If there is a pretty little tool to click on then they will
use it and think that if it works for their five minute test of a
"complex" site, it will work in reality.  They ignore the fact that _any_
development of a complex site will take real time.