httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: non-buffered CGIs suck
Date Fri, 06 Mar 1998 19:41:41 GMT
On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > Consider how many people always set "$| = 1" in their perl scripts.  While
> > that alone won't cause problems... if they are doing anything that blocks
> > it will.
> >
> > For example:
> >
> > #!/usr/local/bin/perl
> > $| = 1;
> > print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n";
> > while (</etc/*>) {
> >         printf ("haha: ");
> >         system ("ls -ld $_");
> > }
> >
> > normally results in one packet for each haha, and one for each ls output,
> > at least on the systems I tried it.
>
> If someone writes that perl code then they're not going to have a high
> performance system.  So... why should we worry about it?

I don't care about the performace of their system.  For all I care they
could go shove it off a cliff.  I do care about my network falling over
from that sort of crap.  This does not just impact the server and the
client accessing it, and that is the whole point.  The code, as written,
can perform fine for many people and can do everything they need, so why
change it?