httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@bellglobal.com
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:12:40 GMT
> Configure is always being derided as crappy, but it is restricted,
> by long tradition and common sense, to only use those capabilities
> that existed in the System 7 'sh' (eg: no function, etc...). One
> possible key to Apache's success is that it does not require any
> more than basic UNIX tools (and an ANSI C compiler) to build, compile
> and run. Many of the ideas floating around for 2.0 would, by default,
> (drastically) change this. Is this a good idea?

Oh boy, campaigning to keep Configure in 2.0?  Shoot me now!

An autoconf-generated configure script is also just a shell script, and
it doesn't use functions or any non System 7 sh features as far as I can
tell.  It is even less demanding on the system than the current Apache
Configure script because it doesn't use awk, sed, grep, egrep or any of
those.

-Rasmus