httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com>
Subject RE: Is $| =1 really a good idea in CGI.pm? (fwd)
Date Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:22:54 GMT
Generally $| gets into the customer support materials
because users write scripts that hang, they then get no
output and become very confused as to where the problem
lies.  So customer support gets in the habit of
telling users to disable the buffering so they get a
clear signal of what's happening.

The pain of the customer and the support people
tends to overwhelm the pain of the network packet
handling.

Turning nagle on scares me.  Implementation trust:
they were all tested with telnet years ago.  Current
craft knowledge is in a rut: turn it off.  Does anybody
leave it on?  Why don't the vendors add a call to
default the state of the accepted sockets?

I think a slight delay in the CGI pipeline to collect
fragments is a great idea.  I have that in my current
server.  You could split the difference with a conf. cmd
to twiddle it.  This is the server's job, to bridge the
gap between easy to write scripts and network goodness.

Go for it.

- ben hyde