httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com>
Subject RE: make clean isn't
Date Thu, 12 Mar 1998 17:04:20 GMT
On Thursday, March 12, 1998 11:57 AM, Paul Sutton [SMTP:paul@c2.net]
wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > make clean is leaving around a whole bunch of .o files... because
Paul
> > changed it recently to not "rm *.o".  Maybe it's just me because I
tend to
> > change my Configuration so much.  But I do find it messy.
>
> Well, ok, change it back then if you want. I understand the problem,
but
> think it is slightly nicer of Apache to leave .o files it doesn't know
> about alone, just in case (say) people drop a third-party pre-compiled
> module into a normal directory (like modules/standard) then when they
try
> to do a rebuild find it has been deleted.

Happened to me, I then changed my makefiles to copy the third party bits
in on demand.  I ended up liking that better. I can install the third
party
bits in a clean directory, test them, upgrade them, and get support on
them
without having to confound the discussion with the "unsupported" stuff.
But
then - I probably just think I'm happy.

  - ben

"Inspite of their medieval programming models."