httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Hyde <bh...@gensym.com>
Subject RE: InternetWorld article
Date Wed, 11 Mar 1998 19:17:50 GMT
I can hardly pretend to be an expert on these
matters but having watched the process from
inside of assorted companies over the years
it goes something like this.

The editor assigns a topic to "his dude" the
writer.  The writer calls the press relations
department at a vendor, maybe two, and says
I'm writing an article about your product catagory
can you send me some info.

As the press relations guy hears those words
he presses a large red button on his desk and
alarms go off at the local messenger service,
before he puts down the phone a muscular
lean bike messenger appears at his door.

The press relations guy hands him an already
written article with all the required bits: customer
quotes (with phone numbers), pictures, amusing
story, and a feature comparison.  These are
on various media so they will be easy to get
into the writer's PC.

I've seen these articles appear untouched into
the trade journals.

That said there should be - at least - a table
on www.apache.org that does the feature
table thing.  It should enumerate all the
competitors, and give high marks to Apache
through out column one.  We call this "column
fodder."