httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: Something broke on the way to 1.3 ...
Date Sun, 29 Mar 1998 08:53:07 GMT
>Personally I think ProxyPass and mod_rewrite's proxy rewrite stuff should
>not be subject to proxy authentication, but rather to normal auth.
>They're just magic ways of making part of an origin server be served from
>elsewhere... they're not supposed to be used for true proxies at all.

That's right -- they are gateways.  That's why I get pissed off when
people call them reverse proxies.  They have nothing to do with a proxy
(which is an agent of the requester).  They have separate requirements
under HTTP precisely because the client thinks it is talking to an
origin server.  It therefore must use origin server authentication.

....Roy