httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_expires.c
Date Tue, 31 Mar 1998 02:20:18 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> For that reason, I'm a firm believer in source-code comments and
> tend to go overboard with them. However, I've too many times
> "inherited" code that lacked any documentation and it makes
> maintaining/porting/updating it a total pain. Sure you can see _what_
> the code is doing, but not _why_ :/
>
> With the size that Apache is, I think we need all 3: source code comments,
> some logical naming scheme and "regular" docs. The naming scheme
> needs work... this should be obvious to all of us.

+1

Of course the formal documentation lags; none of really wants to
be a tech writer (he says, of a group with at least four authors
in it ;-).  I misunderstood Dean's remark to mean the docco should
exist *only* in the source.

Well-documented source first, by all means.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/