httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_expires.c mod_include.c mod_log_config.c mod_rewrite.c mod_usertrack.c
Date Mon, 30 Mar 1998 01:56:41 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I don't see the point in having 5 million different prefixes.  I don't see
> the point in having 5 different prefixes.  I would rather have one prefix
> and use it everywhere.  At the moment we've got the following:
>
> AP_     stuff that doesn't have any other prefix

Ralf just stuck that in the hide.h file because the prefix nomenclature
was still undecided.

> ap_     some stuff that fits your description of generic library tools
>         with no dependency on core (i.e. ap_snprintf), and some stuff
>         that does depend on core (i.e. ap_escape_quotes)

Whoops, ap_escape_quotes() *does* have a dependency.  Bugger.  It needs
to be fixed, then.  Thanx for pointing that out.  The ap_ prefix is
supposed to be for Apache routines/interfaces/whatever that don't have
any dependencies outside of src/ap, so the libap.a can be included if
someone's linking some external programme.  ap_escape_quotes() breaks
that.

> apapi_  two random new core functions

No, not random, just new.  Since the API public interface prefix had been
essentially approved to be "apapi_" (see STATUS) they just happened to
be the first.

> aplog_  another random core function

I've mentioned this as needing fixing before.

> os_     some other random core functions

Not random at all - different implementations that are OS-specific.
Considering the amount of #ifdefing around, I could see a case
being made for this being re-evaluated.

> ... and at least one more that's proposed but unused, appri_ or whatever
> you want to call it.

That's what UpdateHide should be changed to use instead of AP_.

> This is ridiculous.  Apache is 72k lines of code.  If we can't keep our
> own symbols from colliding with each other then we've got serious problems.
> We need only one prefix.

{Sigh}  Wrong-o.  We have a mix of things that are part of the API (or
would be if the bloody thing were published and documented - I'm
working on it..), things that are for core-use only, and things which
are 'reusable.'  Three prefixes: apapi_, appri_, and ap_.

My experience with this sort of stuff over the last couple of decades
has shown clear nomenclature to be highly beneficial; you can tell at
a glance whether something's available, under what circumstances,
and where you might expect to find soi-disant documentation.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/