httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>
Subject Re: Voting: APACI
Date Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:32:27 GMT
Frank Faubert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a word from the user community here.  I have been watching this
> discussion since Ralf first announce APACI, and I can't believe the level of
> resistance to this.  The one thing that Apache lacks is a quick and easy way
> to install it without having to futz around with config files.  The company
> I work for develops web based software, part of which runs as a CGI
> application.  Our software runs on 14 platforms.  I am constantly having to
> install Apache (along with Netscape FastTrack, etc) on various machines to
> test our software, and Apache has the worst installation procedure of any of
> the web servers I deal with.  APACI simplifies this immensely.  It is of
> great value to the end user community.  It is of great value to the person
> who is unfamiliar with Apache and who is trying to install it for the first
> time.  It is of great value to the power user who wants to install it
> quickly.  The beauty of APACI is that it doesn't change anything, it doesn't
> break anything, its just an add-on.  I honestly am stunned by the level of
> resistance to this.  I for one honestly hope that APACI makes it into the
> final release for 1.3.0, as it would make my life, and the lives of other
> Apache users, much easier.
>
> -Frank

Frank, would you then have a problem downloading it from contrib? That's
what I'm encouraging. We've been through too many debacles of late major
changes in Apache releases to want to go through it again. Let me be
clear. I think APACI is great. I think it belongs in 1.3.1. I don't
think it belongs in 1.3.0 because of insufficient time before release,
and the fact that 1.3.0 is supposed to be in feature freeze.

If the majority of the group feels otherwise, I will accept that
position. I don't think this is unfair to the vast user community that
expects Apache to build sucessfully, even with an "inferior"
configuration mechanism. I've heard the claim that "it doesn't break
anything" too many times late in release cycles to take it seriously
anymore. Therefore, I opt for a safe release route, with APACI bundled
externally to 1.3.0 As I said, I will change that position to +0 for CV2
only if most of the group feels otherwise.
--
chuck
Chuck Murcko