httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: New compile warning this AM
Date Sat, 21 Mar 1998 01:41:49 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:
> Uhuh.  And Dean says we should be telling printf the right type to use
> instead of bogusly casting what we do have.  If we had a configuration
> system that can know what type getpid() returns, then it is easy
> to setup the right printf format strings for it.  This is useful
> in general, not just for this.

Yes, excellent.  But not for 1.3.  Can we put the cast in for 1.3, and
make a note to fix this for 2.0?  Either in apache-2.0/STATUS or as a
suspended PR, I don't care - but it should compile.

We've always treated getpid() as returning an unsigned long, haven't
we?  In which case the cast is changing nothing for the worse - so
let's put it in so the bloody software compiles warning-free until
we can do it correctly.  We can get rid of the compilation warnings
even if we can't stomp all the bugs; "ye have bugs with you always."

#ken	P-)}

Apache Group member         <>
"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/

View raw message