httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: the C++ disaster (was Re: Source code - optimised assembler)
Date Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:34:22 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> [...]
> > > I can tell you with extreme confidence that not only is he not talking
> > > only about UI, but in *no way* is he implying that C++ was a good idea
> > > everywhere else.  I've spoken with him about this specifically.  It's hard
> > > to misinterpret "colossal cost."
> >
> > Indeed it is. But the comment was made with reference to the
> > cross-platform stuff. If he thought C++ was a bad idea everywhere, why
> > did he restrict the comment to the cross-platform stuff?
> Um, I'm going to have to disagree with you here, Ben. My interpretation of
> the comments agree with Paul's here. If I say "it's not a good

I'm going to give up on the argument - if anyone can find out the guy's
real opinion, then that's fine. There's little point in discussing what
it might be. BTW, it looks like you got chopped off there :-)

> And I also am wondering why exactly you say that when he mentions
> cross-platform code, he means UI. Isn't that the one part of Navigator
> that, by definition, *can't* be cross-platform? Although personally I'd
> love to see code written for the Mac Toolbox compile using Win32, or Unix,
> it isn't likely to happen.

Isn't it? I could be wrong, but I suspect you'll be surprised when you
see the source. I assumed that cross-platform meant UI because it seemed
obvious to me that that is where most of the cross-platform issues are
for Mozilla.

> Cross-platform code likely includes things like protocol issues, HTML
> parsing and layout, cacheing, security concerns and the like. Which, by
> the way, is very near to what Apache does.

Huh? HTML parsing is platform independent. So is protocol. Cacheing is
very nearly so. Security is orthogonal. We obviously have completely
different ideas of what "cross-platform" means. Even HTML layout is
platform independent (nearly) - though how you achieve the layout is
obviously highly platform dependent.

Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|
and Technical Director|Email: |
A.L. Digital Ltd,     |Apache-SSL author
London, England.      |"Apache: TDG"

View raw message