httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: the C++ disaster (was Re: Source code - optimised assembler)
Date Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:23:48 GMT
Paul Phillips wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Indeed it is. But the comment was made with reference to the
> > cross-platform stuff. If he thought C++ was a bad idea everywhere, why
> > did he restrict the comment to the cross-platform stuff?
>
> Maybe because that was his point -- that introducing C++ into the
> cross-platform parts of mozilla was a COLOSSAL mistake, whereas in
> the rest it was only a GIGANTIC mistake.  It's just as valid an
> interpretation.  There's every reason to restrict those kinds of
> comments to the specific subject at hand (portability in this case)
> so as not to come off like a langugage bigot.  "C++ sucks" is not
> a good way to convince people of anything.  "C++ seriously hindered
> mozilla portability" is much better.  It's only diluted by talking
> about aspects of C++ irrelevant to the central thesis.
>
> I'm just going to ask him, though.

I'll be interested to hear the answer.

> > If he intended it to be a blanket comment on the utility of C++, why on
> > Earth did he qualify it?
>
> See above.  I have to feel that C++ advocacy is really reaching when
> it's looking for endorsements by virtue of complaints about specific parts
> of C++.  "Well, this guy thinks that features X, Y, and Z of C++ suck,
> but that must mean he likes the rest."

:-) If that's what had happened, then yeah. But I was responding to a
criticism of C++. OK, maybe I overstated it, but the fact that a
Netscape employee says that Netscape had a bad experience with
inappropriate use of C++ is not really a condemnation of C++. In my own
inept way I was just trying to underline that.

Cheers,

Ben.