httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: the C++ disaster (was Re: Source code - optimised assembler)
Date Wed, 11 Mar 1998 10:14:59 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> feul for the fire.

It is worth noting a couple of things here. First, he doesn't say that
C++ in Mozilla was a bad idea, only that it was a bad idea in the cross
platform stuff. Now, ask yourself what that means in the context of
Mozilla. That's right! It means UI. We don't have any UI. So, what he
didn't say, but clearly implied, was that C++ was a good idea everywhere
else. Which is to say, in all the kind of code Apache is.

Another point he makes is that C++ may be object oriented, but that
doesn't make people program it that way (or he may be making the point
that C can be programmed in an object oriented way, but I assume not
because that is true only in an academic sense).

Cheers,

Ben.