httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:13:27 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> As I understand it, all external modules would need to be updated
> to include hide.h and define HIDE when they are being built...

No, the #include "hide.h" is in conf.h.  It's automatic, but
it totally breaks binary compatibility - all modules require
a recompile.  For 1.2->1.3 I can readily accept that, since
our upward compatibility is an issue requiring a lot of thought
and care yet.

> I don't see why we are imposing this right now. What we are doing
> is half-assed, and I can't see why we are making things
> tough for module writers. This whole thing was supposed to
> make things EASIER for them, not tougher :/

I don't think it's half-arsed, I think it's half-completed -
a different thing.  It started out as a way to avoid collisions,
and is starting to grow into an API renaming thing.  I won't
mind if the latter is deferred to 2.0; it just seems to me that
we've got a good handle here on how to approach it in the near
term.  Pardon my enthusiasm.. :-)

> I doubt if any other module writers are either

Rasmus is broken because he's expecting binary compatibility.
(I think.)  Oh well - that's not there in something as basic
as a global namespace alteration.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/