httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: Forget it (was Re: [CONTRIB] Autoconf Interface Emulation)
Date Tue, 03 Mar 1998 00:46:02 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Please show me where we vetoed for the Autoconf _interface_ in the past.
> Either I'm totally stupid now or missed some important facts (which can be
> possible). We vetoed against the toolkit and its system checks, etc. But we
> never said that the "configure --prefix..." interface is muck.

At least a couple of people did say something very much like that.
I have no opinion, never having used it.

> Either way: Three vetoes are enough, I give up contributing this stuff for
> inclusion because I really want to avoid fights. If the majority really thinks
> it is not worth to have it then forget it, please. I really don't want to
> fight any more with arguments now. But if this issue is already such
> complicated then it seems we will get more horrible debates when Apache 2.0 is
> really started.  Because it seems there is heavy resistance to the GNU-style
> configuration approach which (IMHO) _is_ a really good approach because all of
> my personal packages used and gained from it in the past and the same would
> apply to Apache...

I don't think that's the upshot of the last discussion round; I think the
conclusion was "yes, let's try it for 2.0.  it's going to be a real
hairball to come up to speed and do it right, so under no circumstances
should we try to impose it on 1.3, which is perilously close to release.
[quick, add some features so we can push the release date out!]".

> So, let us forget this topic for the official 1.3 distribution now, please.
> I'll put it onto my personal webserver for those users who really like it and
> thus there is no more need to fight...

If it pleases a significant number of users, I think it's worth re-examining.
So if you get a couple of dozen rave reviews I'll probably turn round and
be supportive of doing it in 1.3.[1-9].

Hey, it's what happened with mod_rewite.. ;->

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/