httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rodent of Unusual Size <Ken.C...@Golux.Com>
Subject Re: [CONTRIB] Autoconf Interface Emulation
Date Mon, 02 Mar 1998 12:25:00 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Seems (perhaps because of the tarfile) the opinions are given without deep
> code review.

When objections are made on conceptual grounds, code review is
irrelevant.  If people veto the concept, throwing code at the argument
is less useful than trying to convince them that the concept is
viable.  If the only way to do that is by using code, then the
concept is either not being conveyed correctly or else is not
well understood even by its proponent.

Saying that a proposal will replace one undocumented wart with a
different (and possibly still undocumented) one does not convince
me that the effort is well spent.  If the new wart is emulating
an interface that has already been vetoed for the current release,
I think it starts with a handicap.

So..  -1 from me on doing this for 1.3.0, and potentially for
1.3.*.  A new installation of Apache on UNIX is quite simple.  An
upgrade to an existing installation is considerably more complex.
I do not see how this will improve either condition.

If you want to improve the installation process, I suggest that
you focus on a tool to aid converting an existing installation's
*.conf and Configuration files - that's the part that requires the
most manual intervention.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/