httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 19 Mar 1998 04:22:44 GMT
At 10:51 AM 3/17/98 -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>When Ben Hyde's automated builds show a config/compile bug, I'm happy to
>fix it when I can do so without access to the machine.  But I am
>absolutely tired of trying to support every platform under the sun when it
>comes to bug reports.  It's only minorly annoying to get "it won't compile
>on blargix/2.34".  It's a MAJOR ANNOYANCE to get "it compiles and runs and
>then hangs/crashes/fills the error_log".  Those are things which are very
>hard to fix correctly without access to the machine.
>
>That's where I would like to say "Joebob, you're the blargix maintainer,
>this is yours".  And if there's no maintainer... well... tough.  The user
>is going to have to figure it out for themselves or ask questions in
>newsgroups or whatever.

I agree with Dean here.  We should do what we can to facilitate older
systems; for example, a threading library where behind the scenes it can
emulate a multiprocess model.  However, if there's no one around willing to
put in the work on a multiprocess backend to a threading library, it's just
not going to get done.

I care far more about having us work on things that are actually
interesting to us than in supporting old OS's.  I would contend that while
Apache's few dependencies and portable code has helped it reach the user
base it has today, I bet Linux + FreeBSD + Solaris + HPUX account for 45 of
that 50%.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com