httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>
Subject the NPL
Date Mon, 09 Mar 1998 01:17:41 GMT

So, I've been spending some time going over the Netscape Public License,
and following the mozilla.org newsgroups, trying to determine an answer to
the following question:

If we were interested in using a chunk of code from the mozilla.org code
base, for example a I/O library or x-platform threading library, how could
we do that given that our license is much less restrictive than the NPL?

I have no problem with whatever "modifications" we might make going back to
Netscape; in fact I hope they'd abstract useful generic functionality like
x-platform threading into distinct CVS modules and development forums, so
that we could simply use "NSthreads" rather than split our own development
on the package.  My big concern would be, does that package need to be
distributed under the NPL, and then what ramifications would that have for
the folks who rely upon the "freedom" of the current Apache license?

All in all I'm *very* encouraged by the NPL.  If they remove or mitigate
section 5, as it sounds like they might, then I see a lot of developers
being interested in working on it.

	Brian

"Optimism is a strategy for making                         brian@apache.org
a better future." - Noam Chomsky                        brian@hyperreal.org