httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_expires.c
Date Mon, 30 Mar 1998 13:29:36 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Sole documentation of the API in the source?  Rubbish.  And only
> in the routines that are part of the API?  Worse rubbish.  As you
> say, documentation is documentation.  And it ain't source.

_Generally_ speaking, though, the unfortunate truth is that most of
the time, it _is_ .

For that reason, I'm a firm believer in source-code comments and
tend to go overboard with them. However, I've too many times
"inherited" code that lacked any documentation and it makes
maintaining/porting/updating it a total pain. Sure you can see _what_
the code is doing, but not _why_ :/

With the size that Apache is, I think we need all 3: source code comments,
some logical naming scheme and "regular" docs. The naming scheme
needs work... this should be obvious to all of us.