httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: indexing tool...
Date Mon, 30 Mar 1998 06:16:23 GMT

In article <3.0.3.32.19980329180429.009d9540@hyperreal.org> you wrote:
> At 05:18 PM 3/29/98 -0800, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>>Are there any indexing tools that have the following properties:
>>
>>- the core executables are installed system-wide, but don't require any
>>root or special userid usage after that
>>
>>- users can build their own search engines trivially without asking root
>>for help

> Glimpse is an 80% solution whose missing/broken 20% causes it to be
> difficult to live with.  However, Swish is becoming more attractive every
> day; fast, small, stable (something that can't be said for glimpse, which
> was causing some of Organic's servers some problems until we stopped using
> it), and apparently well-supported.

> http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/SWISH-E/

> Only downside to your idea is that it doesn't fetch content via HTTP, only
> the local filesystem; though I can't imagine that'd be hard to implement.

I use the free ht://dig (http://htdig.sdsu.edu/) on my servers. It has some
drawbacks (C++ code) but beside them it works great _and_ speaks HTTP. It can
be used up to a Intranet of 10-20 sites or 100000 pages as my experience with
it shows.  But if you want to index more it it lacks performance.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com