httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject PHP3 (was Re: APACI: Commit Strategy)
Date Sun, 29 Mar 1998 17:52:03 GMT

In article <Pine.WNT.3.96.980329094920.-74569B-100000@shell.lerdorf.on.ca> you wrote:

>> No, it only does when you don't provide your own Makefile.  Because you for
>> shared object support you already have to provide one, you then can make sure
>> the libphp3.a is not removed. Take the proxy/Makefile.tmpl as a start and
>> create a PHP3 variant where your libphp3.a is preserved.
>>
>> But for shared object support you really need to build mod_php3 in its own
>> subdir because else you cannot provide your own build commands (in extra/ a
>> standard approach like in standard/ is used).

> Right, I am working on this now.  I think this will all work nicely.
> However, there is still one issue.  Apache's Configure generates
> src/include/ap_config.h which is used for building large modules like PHP
> outside of the confines of the Apache build tree.  It ensures that I have
> the right #define's needed by the various Apache header files.

> It would be nice if there was a short-circuited APACI configure mechanism
> which made it possible to tell it to do nothing except generate that
> header file.  That way my install steps could be:

> /apache-1.3/configure --build-ap-config
> php3/configure --with-apache=/apache-1.3
> make install
> /apache-1.3/configure --prefix=/tmp/apache --activate-module=src/modules/php3
> make install

> In fact, the php3/configure script could run that --build-ap-config APACI
> configure command to make sure that ap_config.h will be available before
> building PHP3.

I cannot make such an option because ap_config.h is generated by src/Configure
and thus needs to be run completely. Even when APACI would provide a
--build-ap-config you gain nothing.  Just running the standard APACI
"configure .." command results in the same and is not much slower.

But what I don't understand: Why do you need it? Isn't the mod_php3.c the only
source which include it? If this is the case, I see no need for having the
ap_config file at hand before building it. Or did I miss something?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com