httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: APACI: Commit Strategy
Date Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:13:16 GMT

In article <Pine.WNT.3.96.980329005639.-93365T-100000@shell.lerdorf.on.ca> you wrote:

>> PS: For compiling mod_php3 as a shared object I think it would
>>     be good to not put php3 into modules/extra/. Instead you should put it
>>     into modules/php3/ as mod_perl does and then provide a Makefile.tmpl and
>>     Makefile.libdir similar to the one I recently posted for mod_perl which
>>     contains shared object support. Or look at the current
>>     modules/proxy/Makefile.tmpl as an example. This way one even could use
>>     --enable-shared=php3 which would be useful (you have to compile your
>>     sources itself with PIC) ;-)

> It is a bit annoying that when I stick my mod_php3.c file and its
> accompanying libphp3.a file in src/modules/php3 then Apache's build
> procedure wipes out my libphp3.a file because it picks that name for the
> library to be built in this directory.

No, it only does when you don't provide your own Makefile.  Because you for
shared object support you already have to provide one, you then can make sure
the libphp3.a is not removed. Take the proxy/Makefile.tmpl as a start and
create a PHP3 variant where your libphp3.a is preserved.

But for shared object support you really need to build mod_php3 in its own
subdir because else you cannot provide your own build commands (in extra/ a
standard approach like in standard/ is used).

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com