httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: http_paths.h
Date Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:02:17 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.980328181235.9590h-100000@alive.znep.com> you wrote:

> This adds a new command line option to dump out the
> current "significant" defines in a way that can be written directly
> to a .h file to be included in a build of a new version of Apache.

> The idea is that the user should be able to take their old binary,
> run "httpd -p > foo.../apache-foo/src/include/http_paths.h" and
> make a new binary without having to edit any defines.

> This is also a place where people making third party distributions
> can put all the defines they need to change paths, etc. without
> having to edit httpd.h at all.  http_paths.h will be included in
> httpd.h before any of the other definitions and will be empty (well,
> just a comment saying what it is) by default.

That's a good idea. We can use this in addition to APACI to make the current
APACI way of setting options (`$(SRCDIR)/apaci`) to be more cosmetically
clean, i.e. instead of creating a src/apaci script APACI then can edit this
file directly and avoid the `$(SRCDIR)/apaci` workaround.

But Marc, we need another change: At the top of httpd.h we have to include
this httpd_path.h file and we have to make sure that our distribution contains
at least the empty header file.

And one more idea: Because we already have ap_config.h , shouldn't we name the
path-definition header file ap_paths.h?

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com