httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: arctic.patch
Date Thu, 26 Mar 1998 14:14:53 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.980325214545.27358P-100000@twinlark.arctic.org> you wrote:

> Hey I keep saying I'm always running HEAD... but the truth is I've always
> got a few mods.  Is there anything here that folks think I should clean up
> and commit?  This contains:

> - the -p command line switch so that you can pass pre-opened sockets to
> the server (so it doesn't need to run as root at all)

> - listenwrap, which can be setuid root and spawn the server with a -p
> option

Hmmm.... for ISPs these two things together are really interesting.  Because
only this way you can let your customers run the server under its own non-root
account while it still is bound to port 80 as he wants it to run.  I
personally would like at least this stuff to be cleaned up. I really like the
idea. Go for it and make a separate clean patch, Dean.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com