httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: CVSup 15.3 is now available (fwd)
Date Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:27:23 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.980324003623.9590F-100000@alive.znep.com> you wrote:

> I will take this time to remind people that if they are using anoncvs and
> ever have to sit and wait for something, you will almost certainly get a
> huge speed boost by using CVSup to pull the CVS tree over so it is on your
> local drive, then you can set your CVSROOT to the local copy.  You get
> no more functionality, but for extensive work it is faster and CVSup
> doesn't have the x hour lag that anoncvs does.

And for developers, CVSup is also really nice: You can mirror the complete CVS
repository itself via CVSup in high speed, too. I use this to always have a
local CVS repository copy available. This simplifies development
_dramatically_ because you can easily branch, do "cvs diff" in high speed,
etc. I think CVSup is a must for developers...

The only drawback is that CVSup is written in Modula-3 (and thus not easy to
build yourself) and not available in binary form for all platforms. But beside
this, as Marc tries to mention here, CVSup is great.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com