httpd-dev mailing list archives

From bh...@gensym.com (Ben Hyde)
Subject www.apache.org.com
Date Sun, 22 Mar 1998 18:46:51 GMT

One can't guard against all the risks the paranoid mind can
invent, but one does have to guard against the dangers
actually demonstrated to occur nearby.

So, I needed to guard against naughty DNS.  That of course
broke the build for a few days.

  > nslookup dev.apache.org. 1.0.2.6
  Address:  204.62.130.147
  > nslookup 204.62.130.147 1.0.2.6
  Name:    taz.hyperreal.org
  Address:  204.62.130.147

I fixed my fetch script to use that to be sure things seem ok.

But on the machine I actually run the script on it immediately
complained:

   > rsh tha nslookup dev.apache.org 1.0.2.6
   Address:  209.54.94.60
   > nslookup 209.54.94.60 1.0.2.6
   Name:    okdirect.com
   Address:  209.54.94.60

Which I didn't notice for a few days.

I failed to realize that I should assume the worse:
   > nslookup my.pid.is.a.float.dev.apache.org.com 1.0.2.6
   Address:  209.54.94.60

I.e. nslookup is very different between sunos and solarius.

Why bother with URI, just use huge virtual hosts.

  - ben