httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: APACI 980313: Give it a try
Date Sun, 22 Mar 1998 18:23:56 GMT

In article <19980322175821.14971@deejai.mch.sni.de> you wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 1998 at 03:09:00PM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>> Ok, I've now adjusted APACI a little bit so it can be placed anywhere by just
>> changing two variables in the configure script. I've now placed _all_ APACI
>> stuff into the following area together with complete documentation in the
>> README and INSTALL files:
>>
>>   apache-1.3/apaci
>>   apache-1.3/apaci/INSTALL
>>   apache-1.3/apaci/README

> Isn't the problem with this  that the people who need it most won't
> find it? No first-time apache user will know what apaci means, and
> if there's no ./configure around... (oh, or did you mean ./configure
> _uses_ the ./apaci/ subdirectory? If yes, then Ok, +1!)

Of course, I _personally_ would put it into the top-level itself
(configure+Makefile.tmpl) and into the src/helpers/ subdir.  Put others like
Jim seem to only accept APACI when it is committed into a subtree. Sure, it is
not how it was intended and how the users expect it. But as I said, better to
have APACI in a subdir than having it not at all. Although I would prefer to
have at least the configure+Makefile in the top-level...

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com