httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: APACI 980313: Give it a try
Date Sun, 22 Mar 1998 14:09:00 GMT

In article <199803220029.TAA11549@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:

>> Thanks, that's exactly what I said in the past: we can obly gain from
>> including it, because no existing stuff is changes. But some others perhaps
>> still think it would break something or at least could create too much new
>> problems. But perhaps these statements are from the first initial version. The
>> current APACI stuff is now very complete and clear and as portable as the
>> src/Configure script. So perhaps we really should give it a second try for
>> 1.3b6 or at least 1.3b7. I'll think about it when there is a real chance that
>> there aren't again such massive -1 because we are late in the release cycle.

> I'd really like it added, as a patch file or whatever, to ./support or
> maybe something like that (maybe add a ./goodies directory?).
> The ONLY problem I have with it is that it adds another wrinkle
> late in the release cycle.

Ok, I've now adjusted APACI a little bit so it can be placed anywhere by just
changing two variables in the configure script. I've now placed _all_ APACI
stuff into the following area together with complete documentation in the
README and INSTALL files:

  apache-1.3/apaci
  apache-1.3/apaci/INSTALL
  apache-1.3/apaci/README
  apache-1.3/apaci/configure
  apache-1.3/apaci/misc
  apache-1.3/apaci/misc/Makefile.tmpl.mp
  apache-1.3/apaci/Makefile.tmpl
  apache-1.3/apaci/aux
  apache-1.3/apaci/aux/ppl.sh
  apache-1.3/apaci/aux/mkshadow.sh
  apache-1.3/apaci/aux/mkdir.sh
  apache-1.3/apaci/aux/install.sh
  apache-1.3/apaci/aux/fmn.sh
  apache-1.3/apaci/CHANGES
  apache-1.3/apaci/Makefile

This way we can add it to the source tree as a closed area of its own.  And if
we discover that APACI becomes such popular we never have dreamed about we can
move it one level highter to the top itself. On the other hand when we
discover that it sucks, we can just remove this closed area. Again: Really
nothing needs to be changes somewhere else for APACI.

How about this idea?
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com