httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject what an... erm... interesting place for a Usenet post on Apache
Date Sat, 21 Mar 1998 22:02:10 GMT

>From: rkyoung@austin1.com (Rory K. Young)
>Newsgroups: alt.fan.john-denver
>Subject: FAMILY:Our WebServer, Apache, is written up on MSNBC!
>Date: 20 Mar 1998 23:39:12 GMT

Just wanted to let you know that someone emailed me a URL, telling of a story about the Apache
WebServer giving Microsoft and NetScape a real run for their money! It's at <a href="http://www.msnbc.com">MSNBC.COM</a>,
just click on the <b>Apache</b> news item, if you're interested. I just wanted
to let you know, because I highly trust this WebServer, and it seems to deliver to all of
you the information that you want, without dying. I am <b>not</b> particularly
fond of MickeySoft... . I was also interested
in this article, because it mentioned WebTv. Alot of you have that, right? If so, my pages
shouldn't be that much different from your own local pages... just a thought. Rory,
Here are two excerpts:
      Now Apache server software is used by an impressive range of companies and organizations
to run their Web sites, including Kimberly-Clark Corp., McDonald’s Corp. and Texas Instruments
Inc., as well as the New York Yankees and the Atlanta Braves. By some estimates, Apache is
in place at close to half of the two million Web sites on the Internet, more than double the
share held by Microsoft Corp. or Netscape Communications Corp.
       Today Apache is said to have a 47% share of the Internet server market compared
with 22% for Microsoft and about 10% for Netscape, according to Netcraft Ltd., a British consulting
firm. Other sources reject those figures for several reasons, including that among the private
internal intranets that companies install, Microsoft and particularly Netscape hold the lead.
Still, even Microsoft’s newly acquired subsidiaries  Hotmail Corp. and WebTV Networks Inc.
use Apache software on their Web sites.

Rory K. Young <rkyoung@austin1.com>
Sachse, TX USA
 - Friday, March 20, 1998 at 17:43:59 (CST)

   This article was posted from The World Family of John Denver
   Gathering Center, at http://www.austin1.com/JD/memobook.html.

   You are invited to drop by and join in on the celebration of
   life, and the wonder of living.