httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: New compile warning this AM
Date Sat, 21 Mar 1998 14:33:38 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> I shall die before I cast a pid to unsigned long on a platform where it
> may not be valid!

Please explain, exactly, how getpid() could return a value that would
be non-valid if cast to unsigned long? This could ONLY happen if
getpid() returned an integer number greater than unsigned long OR
returned a signed value. If the former, then there is NO WAY to
have any printf() function handle it, since they only allow 'lu'
and not some mystical "bigger than unsigned long" integer. And the
latter would be a bogus implementation because it would confuse the
hell out of functions that assume negative values are process
groups, etc...