httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:53:51 GMT
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I agree with Dean here.  We should do what we can to facilitate older
> systems; for example, a threading library where behind the scenes it can
> emulate a multiprocess model.  However, if there's no one around willing to
> put in the work on a multiprocess backend to a threading library, it's just
> not going to get done.
>
> I care far more about having us work on things that are actually
> interesting to us than in supporting old OS's.  I would contend that while
> Apache's few dependencies and portable code has helped it reach the user
> base it has today, I bet Linux + FreeBSD + Solaris + HPUX account for 45 of
> that 50%.

Most likely... but then again, for some systems like AIX and NeXT,
I'm sure that Apache is the only game in town.

My only concern is that we will deviate from the current "ideals"
of having options for all systems. For example, we still support
file-based scoreboards, when it's best to use shared memory.
For shared mem, we support both SysV shmget and BSD mmap. Thus, we
have all our options open. What I would really hate, and I'm hearing
it already, is for us to say "well, if they don't have XXX and
YYY and can't do this, f*ck 'em". Seems a big change from the old
days...