httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Wed, 18 Mar 1998 20:35:57 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Using autoconf for figuring out platform-specific things is different than
> using autoconf for setting other things in Apache, eg. paths.  I support
> the former, the latter I have more trouble with.
>
> Can autoconf tell me what datatype I need for a getpid() return?  I would
> be happy if it could.

Sure.

> Can Configure tell me that?  Do we want to make Configure able to tell me
> that?  Is it worth the effort to reinvent the wheel?

We can make Configure do whatever we want... it would take some
effort to add that, and then we run into the argument on whether it's
worth it to re-invent the wheel. I'd prefer not, and that's why
we've tried to keep Configure 'autoconf' happy

And porting information isn't the same as Configure bugs... the
former is a pain and isn't really part and parcel of the Configure
process, but more an issue on how the code is layed out. I haven't
checked bugdb out in awhile, so I don't know which the reports are
refering to.