httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Wed, 18 Mar 1998 00:04:20 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> I think you've mistaken a lot of these features as being requirements.
> zero-copy I/O isn't even possible on many modern systems (including linux
> and freebsd).  The proposals are just to make it POSSIBLE to do that
> stuff, not necessary... but also make it possible on all systems to do
> zero-copy within Apache -- maybe there's still a copy into user space and
> a copy out of user space in the kernel, but that's not anything we can do
> something about.

No, I'm fully aware that these are proposals and not requirements.
I just want to make sure that we are all working on the same page.
Are legacy systems important? If so, then that will guide what we can
do and how we do it.

Not only that, but we all agree that there is a big discontinuity between
the Win32 and UNIX versions of Apache... If we do the same internal
to the UNIX versions, then we're getting into big trouble IMO.

> So you want us to waste our time maintaining a hodge podge piece of crap
> configuration system.  Jim you keep saying that we can improve our
> configuration, and we can keep up with the ports... and you've volunteered
> to do it.  But I hate to point out that this just isn't happening -- there
> are probably a dozen compilation bug reports in the bugdb which haven't
> been dealt with as far as I know.  I figure you're too busy to do it,
> which is totally fine.  But if that's the case then you should tone down
> your claims that we can improve Configure.

Nope... I'll keep making those claims, thank you :)
As Ralf's latest commit shows, the process can be improved and is
being improved. But saying I should tone it down it's fair, anymore
than suggesting that all concepts for 2.0 should only be proposed only if
someone has worked out every detail. If not, then no one should say
how this or that could work...

Last I checked, someone (I think it was you) were supposed to forward
those reports to me... And anyone who thinks that compilation bug
reports will disappear with _any_ system is loony.

Personally, I feel that any "overhaul" of the build process should
wait for 2.0.