httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-2.0 STATUS
Date Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:24:16 GMT wrote:
> > Configure is always being derided as crappy, but it is restricted,
> > by long tradition and common sense, to only use those capabilities
> > that existed in the System 7 'sh' (eg: no function, etc...). One
> > possible key to Apache's success is that it does not require any
> > more than basic UNIX tools (and an ANSI C compiler) to build, compile
> > and run. Many of the ideas floating around for 2.0 would, by default,
> > (drastically) change this. Is this a good idea?
> Oh boy, campaigning to keep Configure in 2.0?  Shoot me now!

Nope... Not really. Just bringing up a point. And it _is_ a valid
point, whether we are talking about Configure using sh or perl or
perl5 or whether we are talking about C vs C++ vs Java or whether
we are talking about zero-write IO. Apache's "generalness" is
an asset, IMO, and one major reason why we run on over 50% of the Net.
If we decided that, instead of doing that, we would focus on those
OSs with, for example, a solid mmap(), then we would no doubt have
a better performing Apache, but at a decrease in "market share" since
not all OSs have mmap and not all that do have one that isn't totally

If we decide "screw 'em" well, I guess that's our right, but lets
not fool ourselves... Either we consider "heritage" systems and
generality important, or we don't. But it's something we need to

> An autoconf-generated configure script is also just a shell script, and
> it doesn't use functions or any non System 7 sh features as far as I can
> tell.  It is even less demanding on the system than the current Apache
> Configure script because it doesn't use awk, sed, grep, egrep or any of
> those.

It also dies on many older '/bin/sh's and require instead that it
be run by bash or ksh :)

   Jim Jagielski   |||   |||