httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <>
Subject Re: the C++ disaster (was Re: Source code - optimised assembler)
Date Thu, 12 Mar 1998 18:45:57 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:
> We seem to have made a large leap here. Now you are saying that _every_
> project done in C++ has gone wrong. I can demonstrate several that
> haven't, and I'm sure I'm not alone. There are a lot of crap programmers
> out there, and they write a lot of crap code. Many of them write crap
> code in C++. This tells us nothing about C++.

I don't mind programming in C++, but to do it right I find I have to
mentally "switch gears" or else I produce C++ that's no different from
C. In other words, to program well in C++, you have to be in OOP
mode. Otherwise, what comes out is crap.

Both C and C++ give you enough rope to hang yourself. IMO C++ gives
you a bit more rope to do the job, but dead is dead. And sometimes,
you need the extra rope when NOT hanging yourself, at which point,
C++ shines.

   Jim Jagielski   |||   |||