httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: BLOCKQUOTEs in mod_rewrite.html
Date Tue, 10 Mar 1998 07:00:30 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.980309184056.17010N-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:

> What is the deal with them?

> <BLOCKQUOTE>
> <EM>,,The great thing about mod_rewrite is it gives you all the
> configurability and flexibility of Sendmail. The downside to
> mod_rewrite is that it gives you all the configurability and
> flexibility of Sendmail.''</EM>
> <DIV ALIGN=RIGHT>
> -- Brian Behlendorf<BR>
> Apache Group
> </DIV>
> </BLOCKQUOTE>
> </BLOCKQUOTE>
> </BLOCKQUOTE>

> huh?

The deal with them? I just used nested blockquote tags to indent the cookie
more then one indentation level. Because I really wanted to avoid a <table>
construct.

> And there are a couple of loose ones around that I can't figure out why
> they are there.

You mean the one after <body> and the one before </body>? These are just
because I really hate documents (on paper and on the web) starting at column
0.This is against all knowledge about whitespace usage in typography where
I've some background in. The document is best read with some leading
whitespaces at the left border (both because the paragraphs are indented and
look more like units and because the lines are a little bit shorter which is
better to read). Yes, I know typography is not what HTML purists like but
compare the document with what you get when you remove the blockquotes.  Again
a <table> construct could be used but a table is as much not intended for
supporting typography as blockquotes are. In HTML there is no way except
stylesheets. So, I've used blockquotes to make the document read a little bit
easier. Feel free reverse me if you really think puristic HTML bondage is
better here than easier reading.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com