httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Thu, 05 Mar 1998 13:26:05 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > As I understand it, all external modules would need to be updated
> > to include hide.h and define HIDE when they are being built...
>
> No, the #include "hide.h" is in conf.h.

But the -DHIDE isn't, and that's done by Configure which some
modules don't worry about (eg: mod_php)

> > I don't see why we are imposing this right now. What we are doing
> > is half-assed, and I can't see why we are making things
> > tough for module writers. This whole thing was supposed to
> > make things EASIER for them, not tougher :/
>
> I don't think it's half-arsed, I think it's half-completed -
> a different thing.  It started out as a way to avoid collisions,
> and is starting to grow into an API renaming thing.

By why into some API renaming thing? There wasn't any consensus
about it before, except maybe that we needed something concrete
with 2.0. So why are we doing this? Answer: because there were
some very specific collisions we wanted to handle.