httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 21:03:34 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> The apache header files assume they have -Dwhateveros and without it you
> cannot assume that anything works.  I certainly am not going to guarantee
> that anything works.  What if on some os we need to #include
> <sys/foobar.h> to get a proper definition of some system constant which
> affects a header?  It'll work correctly when you compile in the apache
> tree and will work incorrectly when compiled outside the apache tree...
> and you may end up with a different structure size with things at
> different alignments.  Have fun trying to debug that one.

I agree that the Apache header files require the -Ds to work
correctly, and to correctly compile Apache, but all the modules
do are make calls to the API functions. The API functions themselves
are compiled correctly because that's done during the Apache
build itself. All module need to know are the names and parameters
of the API functions (yes, I know, this is very simplistic).

In any case, the very fact that PHP works this way, as do others,
means that any monkeying around with namespace could be
troublesome...

It looks like we've started patching a wall and apply a little
touch-up, and have migrated to wallpapering the whole thing.

In any case, if we do go this "universal HIDE route" we better
make it a default, and not using any Configuration rule either.
It should be set in httpd.h. But I'm sure that we'll get loads
of "bad symbol" errors when people try to add in their favorite
modules :/

I'd like for us to be conservative at this point.