httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 20:35:14 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Mar 1998, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > As I understand it, all external modules would need to be updated
> > to include hide.h and define HIDE when they are being built...
> > I don't see why we are imposing this right now. What we are doing
> > is half-assed, and I can't see why we are making things
> > tough for module writers. This whole thing was supposed to
> > make things EASIER for them, not tougher :/
>
> But they can't have their cake and eat it too.  Either Apache's name space
> is hidden from 3rd party libraries or it isn't.  If it's hidden then they
> need to make changes to use the hidden functions.

Certainly you can't mean this literally? The whole idea of an API is
to provide some external, non-hidden routines. And yes, I think they
_do_ want both. We're in the wrong by (1) not having a well-defined
API and (2) using real generic routines and having them global.
We should protect what we should, and leave non-hidden what we
shouldn't. Look at the BIND resolver lib... they hide what they
must and don't what they shouldn't. If we have a routine like
"open_connection" then that should be hidden; one like ap_snprintf
shouldn't be. Just blindly taking some prefix on the front
of everything doesn't make sense.

I'm guessing we've had reports of, what, maybe 15 name-space
collisions, and those for functions that really should be
hidden.

And since the API IS so murky, we run more of a risk of closing
off modules then making it easy.

As far as how Rasmus is handling the configuration of PHP, I don't
think that's a point. What does it matter how PHP knows what
external functions are available? All PHP wants to do is know
how to talk via the API. Certainly the API is OS-aware on the
Apache-side and so the "module-side" doesn't need to worry
about it so much.