httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Rasins <sa...@dns.omniport.net>
Subject Re: Open Market owns personalization?
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:05:38 GMT
Mark J Cox <mark@awe.com> wrote,
>> The Session Identifier Patent, filed in June 1995, makes it possible for
>> a company to track Web site visits and usage, and allow "one-to-one"
>> marketing -- an increasingly popular feature in e-commerce applications.
>
>Sounds a bit like mod_usertrack/mod_cookies which allocates a unique
>session identifier to each user.
>
>Unfortunately the date on the copyright says 6th July 1995 (it was first
>added to Apache 0.8.2).  I'll have to dig out my old logs to see when I
>actually wrote the code.
>
>Mark

Mark,

If you can show that you did indeed create your code prior to Open Market
creating their code, and your code significantly covers the claims of the
patent, then your work can overturn the patent on the grounds of "prior art".

The real problem with patents is that it is assumed that the patent applicant
knows EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING that ever happened prior to the application
of the patent.  The other problem is getting the USPO to be aware of the "prior
art" ... for the patent examiners must *also* know everything about everything.

Let us know ... it would be interestng to see what your dates show.

Later,
Sambo	P-)
Sam Rasins
<Sambo@Caribe-Enterprises.com>

If you sit down at a poker game and don't see a sucker, get up.  You're
the sucker.

{NOTE: The [random] quote above was provided via the 'fortune' program.}