httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/include hide.h
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 14:41:57 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> Yes, sounds nice. Even we are doing it at the wrong location, I think.  But to
> make this we need a decision scheme for the prefixing.  We can do it this way:
> Have a list of apapi-functions and all functions which are not in this list
> gets appriv as there prefix.
>
> Hmmmm... seems like the HIDE-feature becomes a general symbol changing
> feature, which IMHO is not for what it was intended and written... But +0.

This sounds wrong to me... We already have symbols which are
"hidden", meaning only that they are designed to avoid name-space
collisions. These are the real API functions. These should NOT
be then re-hidden. This makes no sense and is SURE to completely
hose external modules. Only those functions which are non-static
and not API should be "hidden" and even then, I'm sure there are
some that are being used. I think that our 1st cut of hidden
should be those collisions that we _know_ about.

Soooo to make it official, I'm -1 on any hiding of already
hidden, ap_* functions...