httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: regardless... ralf's autoconf path has use
Date Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:02:14 GMT

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96dg4.980302094715.14603B-100000@twinlark.arctic.org> you wrote:

> I didn't follow the entire thread.  But there's an open PR asking that the
> "make install" rule build and install a bunch of the support tools as
> well.  And I think this is a useful thing.  It looked like Ralf did this
> in his patch.

Yes, all important support tools are installed, too. _Even_ with correct Perl
interpreter path inserted for Perl scripts like dbmmanage and correct Apache
paths inserted in scripts like apachectl. And of course it automatically
adjusts the *.conf files according to the used paths.

As I said, after "make install" you immediately can try out Apache by running
`<PREFIX>/sbin/apachectl start'. This what users want: A out-of-the-box build
and installation where no manual editing is needed on the one hand and the
ability to be able to specifiy non-standard thinks (like compiled-in modules,
used Rules, CC, CFLAGS, etc.).

Of course, I understand and accept that my configure stuff is considered a new
feature (even if it doesn't patch or hurt existing stuff) and that it's a
little bit late. But as Dean wanted to state here, first the users really
wanted it in the past and second it _is_ also what the hackers expect...

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com