httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: [CONTRIB] Autoconf Interface Emulation
Date Mon, 02 Mar 1998 07:17:35 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.980301130058.29298I-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:

>[...]
> 2. I'm not convinced that it is wise to start defaulting to anything that
> does not put everything under one Apache-specific tree.  There are too
> many platforms that are messed up by it.  eg. Linux with bastard fsstnd or
> whatever it is, etc.

To make it more clear, here are some examples:

The call
  $ ./configure
or
  $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
leads to:
  prefix          = /usr/local/apache
  exec_prefix     = /usr/local/apache
  bindir          = /usr/local/apache/bin
  sbindir         = /usr/local/apache/sbin
  libexecdir      = /usr/local/apache/libexec
  mandir          = /usr/local/apache/man
  sysconfdir      = /usr/local/apache/etc
  datadir         = /usr/local/apache/share
  localstatedir   = /usr/local/apache/var

The call
  $ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
leads to:
  prefix          = /usr/local
  exec_prefix     = /usr/local
  bindir          = /usr/local/bin
  sbindir         = /usr/local/sbin
  libexecdir      = /usr/local/libexec
  mandir          = /usr/local/man
  sysconfdir      = /usr/local/etc/apache
  datadir         = /usr/local/share/apache
  localstatedir   = /usr/local/var/apache

This is the way good packages install to avoid messing up existing trees...

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com