httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: [CONTRIB] Autoconf Interface Emulation
Date Mon, 02 Mar 1998 06:55:30 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95q.980301130058.29298I-100000@valis.worldgate.com> you wrote:

> 1. In the long term, I would like a file created that lists all the paths
> for everything involved with Apache that can be easily parsed.  This file
> could be used in upgrades to put things in the right place, and by third
> party products to find things.  The location of it will differ from system
> to system, but that isn't too bad since two or three common guesses should
> get it most of the time, if not ask the user.

Yes, this would another interesting option. I've writtem such stuff for
AutoConf itself in the past. We can use this stuff it for 2.0, of course.

> 2. I'm not convinced that it is wise to start defaulting to anything that
> does not put everything under one Apache-specific tree.  There are too
> many platforms that are messed up by it.  eg. Linux with bastard fsstnd or
> whatever it is, etc.

I don't understand you here, Marc. The configure _puts_ anything under one
Apache-specific tree, it's the prefix! Ok, currently it is /usr/local but we
can change it to /usr/local/apache or whatever. But at any case: The stuff
_is_ installed under this single prefix. My configure also makes sure the
common directories are not messed by looking if "apache" is part of the prefix
and if not, it automatically adds "/apache" to these dirs. This is also GNU
convention.

In any case: The installation _does_ install the stuff under one single
Apache-specific tree. Try it out!

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com