httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: [CONTRIB] Autoconf Interface Emulation
Date Sun, 01 Mar 1998 21:45:43 GMT
Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> So, I personally think it should be _either_ taken in _immediately before
> 1.3.X_ (including 1.3.0) or forget completely as part of the official
> distribution (Of course, I personally won't move it /dev/null, I then will
> release it separately). Because its _only_ for 1.3 and hence should be in the
> release _from the first step_ or never in list of 1.3 releases.  Then not even
> in 1.3.1 or 1.3.2, because I think this doesn't make sense to incorporate it
> later.

I would prefer such a drastic user-level change and/or addition not
be done so close to a possible 1.3.0 release. If we do incorporate this
then we have either 2 configuration modes, which is bound to cause
confusion, or else we "hide" the Configure method by this configure
wrapper (ie: we depcreciate the use of Configure). I am not
comfortable with either solution at this stage. The reason for
the later is simply because it is assumed that Configuration
totally defines how Apache is built (maybe some external modules
depend on this), and the configure method negates that.