httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: [CONTRIB] Autoconf Interface Emulation
Date Sun, 01 Mar 1998 16:41:35 GMT

In article <199803011623.LAA28718@devsys.jaguNET.com> you wrote:

> Nope. Not for 1.3. We all agreed about that.
> -1

We agreed not to use the GNU Autoconf toolkit itself and thus its system
checks, etc. pp. What I've done is just a wrapper for our good but
"proprietary" semi-batch Configure+Configuration scheme to provide

  1. the commonly known GNU-style interface
  2. an GNU-conforming installation tree the user expects

Nothing more. Try it out, it is nothing more then a wrapper which doesn't do
any configuration itself. It just prepares the stuff for src/Configure.  And
it doesn't need any changes to the existing stuff. It's just an addition which
I still think the users would love and which doesn't provide us a lot of new
problems.

Have you really looked into the code, Jim?

Because when, then your answer should be: -1 for this and +1 to remove the
currently existing top-level Makefile+src/helpers/InstallApache because these
_STILL_ provide a second interface to the src/Configure* stuff. Here we
already have a wrapper. What I try is just to replace this bogus wrapper with
a more complete one and by one the users typicall expect more.

Greetings,
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com