httpd-dev mailing list archives

From George_Carre...@iacnet.com
Subject Re: Open Market owns personalization?
Date Thu, 05 Mar 1998 12:26:31 GMT
Hi Frank,
>> You know where I'd like to store a session id?
> ><PRIOR_ART>
> >http://username:credential@hostname.com/da/da/da.html
> ></PRIOR_ART>
>

>That would be a bad thing [tm].  The username / credential would then be passed
>in the referrer to the next site the user goes to.

It isn't currently passed in referer by any web browser (MSIE or NS).
Which is a good thing!

However, the way that OpenMarket has patented, well, that fits your description
of a bad thing [tm] because that info really is passed along to the next site.

Good observation of why doing things the OpenMarket was is bad.
"It's so bad, its patented!"

Note that I am mixing up the notion of credential and session key here.
On purpose. A credential might only be good for a limited amount of time.