httpd-dev mailing list archives

From George_Carre...@iacnet.com
Subject Re: Open Market owns personalization?
Date Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:29:46 GMT
I can show that I implemented a session id in a url in an application
at http://www.village.com/ in october of 1994.
Of course in us patent law the important date is the date of "invention" not
the date of filing. Although has changed over time (to avoid the race
to the patent office, like in the old days) and may have changed again
because of World Trade Organization and GATT influences.

But I've seen prior art involving session id's in urls long before that time,
For example, go to http://www.blackbox.com/ and click on "quote" and
you get something like http://www.blackbox.com/bb/action/quote/tig2f28
In 1994 that was running in NCSA servers.

The funny thing is that a person who can prove prior art can in fact
win ownership of the patent away from the person who was granted the
patent in the first place. So it is important to contact people with prior art
quickly so they cannot be "bought off" first.